When we finally got our hands on Amanda Brooks’s new book, “Farm From Home,” we were excited to see simple recipes peppered throughout its charming depiction of English country life. The most delightful surprise of all? The former New Yorker uses Bisquick in her homemade strawberry shortcake!
Here’s How She Makes It.
Adapted from Original Bisquick recipe
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 ⅓ cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. Heat oven to 425°F.
- Stir Bisquick mix, milk, sugar, and butter until a soft dough forms.
- Drop 6 separate spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- While biscuits are in the oven: In a large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to overbeat because the cream will become lumpy and butterlike.
- Split shortcakes with a knife; fill with strawberries and top with whipped cream.
See more stories in “Farm From Home” ($40, Blue Rider Press).
And follow her on Instagram @amandacbrooks.